*Please note that this top ten list restaurant offerings were accurate at the time they were written. Disney menus may change without notice and restaurants may be under refurbishment during your vacation. The recommendations in this top 10 list are my own opinion.
Dining at Disney World with a special diet is sure to be a treat for kiddos with special dietary needs. With so many options, there is something for all tastes and even the pickiest of eaters. In a post on Facebook, you, the readers, gave me your favorite table service locations at Disney World for kids. From character meals to lively entertainment, you chose some of the most fun restaurants on property. Big and little kids are sure to be pleased by each of these choices!
10. Raglan Road Irish Pub (Downtown Disney): Did someone say gluten free & dairy free (and free of many other allergens) fish and chips? GF/DF onion rings? The located carries dedicated fryers for all sorts of fried food options. Kiddos will find all sorts of delicious treats at this restaurant, located in Downtown Disney. Even though it is a pub, there’s a lot to offer guests, even children. Lunch time is a little more quiet, but the evening time offers live entertainment with terrific Irish dancers. It’s a fun atmosphere that will appeal to all ages. Kids not a fan of fish? The burgers here are pretty fantastic too!
9. Tusker House (Animal Kingdom): What can be more fun than a safari breakfast with Donald and friends? Your kids will be delighted by this character meal that offers something a little on the wild side. While there are African inspired food options, there’s also a lot of traditional offerings for kids to indulge in. Breakfast includes allergy friendly Mickey waffles and special diets pastries (can you say cinnamon sugar donuts?!) while lunch and dinner include allergy chicken tenders. The chefs here are particularly attentive, and they will make sure that buffet items come from the back and are freshly prepared.
8. Kona Cafe (Polynesian): This may be one of my favorite places for breakfast on property because they have some pretty amazing allergy friendly Mickey waffles. And kiddos will think so too! The food here is simple and approachable for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sandwiches and Polynesian inspired fare will tempt their taste buds, and they’ll want to visit again and again! Check out the sweet potato fries. They are made in a dedicated fryer and even the finickiest child will enjoy these sweet yet savory treats.
7. Coral Reef (Epcot – Future World): When it comes to atmosphere, Coral Reef, located in Epcot’s The Seas with Nemo & Friends, really can’t be beat. Watching sharks, turtles, fish, and rays in the aquariums is really cool, and your kids will think so too! The food is a little more upscale, but the kids menu offers totally approachable dishes for those who like fish and those who think “fish are friends, not food.” There are lots of special diets offerings here!
6. Ohana (Polynesian): Ohana means family and your family will absolutely love this restaurant. Children will have a blast at breakfast with the Lilo & Stitch character meal which is served family style at your table. Children with a special diet will get their very own platters (how cool is that?) complete with allergy friendly Mickey waffles and more. Stopping for dinner? Kids will be equally excited for the family style meal that includes custom dishes for their special dietary needs. My favorite? The chicken wings and meal platters that include rice, grilled meats, and veggies. They even have gluten free & dairy free sweet & sour and teriyaki sauce for those kiddos that like dipping sauces. Kids are encouraged to participate in the live entertainment!
5. Sci-Fi Dine In (Hollywood Studios): How cool is it to eat a drive-in theater? Pretty cool! And it’s sure to be a hit with your kids too. Sci-Fi Dine In, located in Hollywood Studios, offers really approachable and kid friendly fare that includes burgers, fries, and allergy chicken tenders. They also have non-dairy milkshakes (*Note: there is potential for cross contamination because of the machines they use). Everyone in your family will get a kick out of watching old sci-fi movies while enjoying your dinner in your very own drive-in car. There’s no doubt kids think this restaurant is “Out of this world!”
4. 50’s Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood Studios): What can be better than a meal cooked in mom’s kitchen? 50’s Prime Time serves up homestyle meals that will please even the pickiest of palates. And kids with special diets will be super pleased with allergy friendly fried chicken. Yep, real fried chicken (*Note: Advance Notice through Disney’s Special Diets Department is strongly recommended, due to long prep time). Dairy free mashed potatoes are a winner here as is the gluten free & dairy free meatloaf. Plus, kids will love the antics of the “cousins” who make sure you clean your plates or no dessert!
3. Whispering Canyon Cafe (Wilderness Lodge): I have one phrase that kids will love to use at this restaurant. “Do you have any ketchup?” (just try this next time…trust me!) Whispering Canyon Cafe, located in the Wilderness Lodge, offers up a rootin’ tootin’ good time. The server hijinks will crack your kiddos up, and there’s even fun activities for them to participate in. Plus the food here is pretty awesome for special diets. The fare is BBQ themed and so many of the items are safe for special diets diners. They even have an amazing allergy friendly cornbread here!
2. Boma: Flavors of Africa (Animal Kingdom Lodge): Despite the fact that this restaurant serves food that is African inspired, you shared that this is one of your top places to take kids with special diets. Breakfast is my absolute favorite, and so many of you agree. Kids will enjoy the jungle juice, custom eggs, and allergy friendly Mickey waffles. Dinner is a little more African-inspired but they’ll quickly gobble up all that this place has to offer. Chefs make this meal an extra magical experience. If you get there around opening, you might get selected to be the “family of the day.”
1. 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian): Heads and tails above any other restaurant, readers said this was the hands down best place to take children with a special diet. Set in the Grand Floridian, this character meal gives kids a chance to meet tons of characters. At the Supercalifragilistic Breakfast meet Mary Poppins, Alice, the Mad Hatter Tigger, and even Winnie-the-Pooh! Dinner turns into a royal affair with Cinderella. Her stepsisters are a hoot! Another buffet, chefs will easily make your little one safe food from the back with tons of great flavor! Talk about a magical meal!
What are you favorite table service locations to take kids?
Stay tuned for the top 10 quick service restaurants for kids with a special diet!