Tonga Toast is one of the most popular breakfast dishes on Disney property. Served at Kona Cafe at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, it’s a classic take on French Toast. Unfortunately, you can’t get this dish at Disney gluten free, but with some at-home substitutions, you can easily recreate this classic breakfast dish at home safely.
I recommend using Bread SRSLY’s gluten free (and vegan!) sourdough bread to make this at home.
You can see me walk through this recipe step-by-step in my YouTube video below.
Recipe yields – 4 servings
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 large eggs (omit if you are making egg free or vegan)
1 1/3 cup whole milk (substitute non-dairy milk if making dairy free or vegan)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Tonga Toast Ingredients:
1 quart canola oil, for frying
1 loaf sourdough gluten free bread (uncut, 12 inches long) (Recommend using Bread SRSLY gluten free sourdough bread loaves)
2 large bananas, peeled
For Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
For Tonga Toast:
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
- Slice the gluten free bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
- Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
- Place a gluten free bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
- Dip stuffed gluten free bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
- Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
- Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.
Version of this recipe found originally at Oh My Disney.